Vision Statement

Robert Byrne Brimage B00089106

Let's get straight into this, the game I am aiming for is an "Informative Learning Action Adventure Game" a tongue twister, I know however is it accomplish-able? YES. The informative learning comes from my ambitions to make the game about the 1916 Irish Easter Rising. The game will follow the story of the Irish Rebels fighting for freedom. It will include IMPORTANT Landmarks and Influential iconic names.

Image result for easter rising 1916 video game
pic info

Originally I had planned to go through the entire 19th century of Irish History however after the class meeting in which we discussed our ideas I thought upon the potential high detail levels I could achieve if I focus my work on one period in Irish history.

The reasoning behind choosing the Easter Rising is due to family history and I also have a lot of interest in it. The other side of my reasoning is because I can make the user experience it and walk through the landmarks such as the GPO, O'Connell street, Cross the Liffey etc. However the user will be learning along the way about the 1916 rising.

The atmosphere and lightning in the game will be a gloomy and hard atmosphere. Despite the fun that comes with playing a game, I want to emulate the mood in which the Irish public experienced as the Rising was happening. It was not a fun time.

As I mentioned I plan on involving Iconic landscapes I aim to use Unity assets to help me, however for some Iconic buildings or rivers I will of course need to make them from the ground up. I am confident in doing this as I have previous experience. for the River Liffey I will be referring to this short tutorial : River Tutorial

I will be capturing rural dublin including houses and interiors to some houses, and interesting video I found in research was this one in which the user generates a city without making the houses from scratch: Generating houses

Image result for easter rising 1916 video game

Pic Info



















Comments

  1. Hey Robert,
    I love that you're taking an education approach to the game idea. Most people in the course are focusing more so on a fantasy or fiction based game but your game idea is the first that I have seen in the education genre. Really inspirational stuff here. I understand that it is a game based around the Easter Rising but is it an Open world or will there be cut scenes? Will the player be able to choose the dialogue ?
    It would be cool if you could include some NPC's that you were able to approach and talk about the Easter Rising. This could give the player an option to learn more if they wish or even select individual responses to find out the background of the Easter rising. Another idea is that if it is open world, cut it down to the GPO and Liffey and make it so that you can explore different parts. I know it sounds like a lot of work but making some of the houses accessible so that you can go in and talk to the landlords and get their opinion on the rebels, having more voices in your story could give make it an education game where the players get to learn more about the game IF they want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gym, thanks for the comment. Glad you like my educational approach. The NPC and potential dialogue option is such a good shout! I'm going to try and research the role-playing possibilities within UNITY.
      I'm planning on making some houses with functioning doors and windows, some will be blown apart and rubble etc.

      Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  2. hi robert, this is a very interesting game idea, i would love to hear about the type of info you will feed into the game, will it be a fun way of looking back on history? can't wait to see this develop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rob,
    Good to see a game idea that is meant to be for educational purposes. Games are usually for more recreational purposes. I would love to play a game like this. My favorite thing about this idea is that it's set in Ireland, I don't know of any game being set in Ireland. Great game idea very original!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About Me